Do you ever wake up and open your wardrobe and think, “I have nothing to wear”? Well, like most people, you are not alone.
But did you know that this daily problem could also be holding you back? As a Fashion Stylist, I see how many of my client’s wardrobe impacts their limited time and fragile confidence (especially first thing in the morning). So how can you make an impact on this problem without spending lots of money? Organize!
Use these tips below to get your wardrobe on track for the lifestyle you deserve.
- Start by taking everything out of your wardrobe and dust. You will be surprised at how much dust can accumulate and can make your clothes dirty (when being stored long-term).
- Before placing items back, try them on! Do they fit? If not, can you have it altered? Is it in good condition, or does it need replacing? If you are uncertain about any of these questions, then maybe the item is not of value to you or your wardrobe. Is this an item that is holding you back? It may be time for Marie Kondo action, i.e. thank it for its service and get rid of it.
- When returning all your hanging items to the wardrobe, place the coat hangers in reverse. Instead of placing the coat hanger facing into the back of the wardrobe (which is my normal technique), have them facing out. This is an excellent technique for identifying which items you use. When you use a piece of clothing, place the hanger back as you normally would. In 6 weeks you will find out which items you use and others that you don’t. It’s a great time to review how much value you are getting from those items you don’t wear!
- For seasonal or semimetal clothes or such as eveningwear, store them away. This gives you more space for the clothing pieces that are valuable to you and will help combat that feeling of overwhelming each morning. If you are placing your winter wear away for the season, the best practice is to pre-wash with a few drops of Eucalyptus Oil (to keep the bugs away) and fold in a vacuumed sealed bag. Not only will this keep both humidity and any bugs from wrecking your winter clothing but also save on space.
- Identify items from your wardrobe that are missing. Such as a great pair of pants to go with your favourite top so you could wear it both to brunch and work. Knowing what items you need will have you focused on building a wardrobe that serves you better!
- For a final tip, add colours to your wardrobe that make you feel good and look great! Wearing the right colour (in the right place) can change or enhance your mood. An example for the ladies, going on a date with your partner, why not throw on a little red lipstick to add a bold, sultry look, or wanting to feel flirty and fun why not wear a pair of yellow sandals for an on-trend and fun look to any outfit.
Sometimes this process is not easy to do by yourself, so if you ever feel like you need a professional to guide you, so you get the most out of your current wardrobe, get in touch with Amanda Leigh Style. For November, we are offering a 15% discount on all styling packages to help you feel good, look great and get organized for 2020.
(Guest Blog, Amanda Wong, Director – Amanda Leigh Style)